Normally I would have shared much more of the process behind a project as big as this, but I swear right around the time this project finally got underway, Emmet was entering the “I’m on the move and you can’t keep up” stage of baby/toddlerhood and mama has had her hands full! In the best way possible, but full nevertheless. So let’s let this serve as the official kickoff to our series of posts all about our new primary bedroom/bathroom/closet addition project! There, we did it. Consider this officially kicked off! And to really kick it off with a bang, I thought I’d start by diving right into my favorite part of this project… the bathroom. If you’re currently in the market for bathroom remodel ideas or design inspiration, look no further!
Our New Primary Bathroom: Design & Remodel Ideas
Shop Bathroom Decor, Tile, Sink Faucets, Lighting and Vanity
I know what you’re thinking. The bathroom? Really? Yes, really. I have a thing for bathrooms. It’s my happy place! I always have and always will love a good, criminally long warm shower. I love washing my hair, shaving, or just standing under the spray in silence with no toddler in sight. I love when the bathroom gets steamy and warm and I can snuggle up in a robe and really dive into my skincare routine… that I’m fairly certain does absolutely nothing for me but make me feel better that I actually found the time to moisturize my sad, sad mom skin. And because I’m a rebel, I love propping my phone up in the shower niche where the water can’t touch it and reading my book while enjoying said steamy shower. A little weird? Definitely. Totally delightful? Absolutely.
I’ve made it one of my life’s missions to take mental notes whenever I stumble upon an exceptionally inviting or luxurious bathroom while traveling or visiting other homes, and file those away in the “future epic bathroom remodel ideas and design inspiration” folder in my mind. So imagine my excitement when I finally got to dust that folder off and pull out some of that design inspiration when we started this project! Happy dance!
I’m lucky our builders, Hill Farm Design, are the coolest team around because they didn’t even bat an eyelash when I started to tell them all of my zany ideas for this bathroom. What’s more, they completely leaned into the bathroom luxury vision with me and have brought it all to life in the most exciting ways. After countless home improvement projects in our house over the years with many a contractor, I can safely say that I’ve never ever ever worked with a team more creative or capable than Hill Farm. Anytime I bring a wild idea to them, the answer is immediately, “Yep, we can do that!” and I love them for that.
Speaking of wild ideas, that brings me to the pièce de résistance of the new bathroom and the detail I’m most excited about, our heated shower bench and shower floor. Now sure, the shower is, by default, already going to be a warm and cozy space once that hot water starts flowing, and yes, for a significant chunk of the year it’s hotter than a pepper sprout here in Arizona which would seemingly negate the need for such an indulgence, but I just had to have it! Sitting and relaxing during a shower on a nice, warm heated bench just sounds like pure joy, doesn’t it? Especially in the winter months when it is chillier at night and in the morning. Ok yeah I’m justifying what may be an unjustifiable indulgence to some of you, but hey, we all have our things and this tired mama needed a heated shower bench, ya know?! I’m not really a bath person either, which many of you probably are, so there’s that.
As for the rest of the bathroom, the design inspiration was somewhat simple. Cozy. Neutral. Functional. Classic… with a little bit of fun sprinkled in, of course! Here’s a list of the big design and build elements we included in the space that I hope might help fill your own “bathroom remodel ideas and design inspiration” folder in your brains!
The Details: Our New Bathroom Tile, Sink Faucets, Lighting, Vanity and More
- Heated shower bench and floor
- Wall shower head, hand shower and rain shower head (because you can never have enough options, in my opinion)
- Custom rift white oak vanity that Hill Farm is building for us (the vanity pictured above is just for inspiration. Our vanity is fully custom and will look a bit different than that.) If you’re looking for a pre-fabricated oak vanity, in addition to all of the amazing options I linked in the Shop Widget above, I also love this one and this one.
- Quartz vanity countertops, shower bench and niche shelves
- Two medicine cabinets
- Plaid floor tile
- White & tan penny tile backsplash in the shower niche (the tile is American Universal Islandia Penny Round in Coconut Gloss/ISL-2635)
- White gloss textured subway tile on the shower walls paired with white grout (we chose Maipei “White” for our grout all around)
- Classic chrome knobs and pulls, vanity lights and faucets
- Skylight for natural light without having to put windows in the walls of this small space (our neighbors are so close to us and our backyard also backs up to a major street and sidewalk).